Saturday, February 28, 2015

Staying Warm (Comfort for Writers)

One of the things writers struggle with from time to time is comfort. It's particularly challenging in the winter months.

I don't like being cold. I don't like being hot either, but I really don't like being cold. When the weather turns cold, I have a lot of problems keeping my feet warm without pain. While wearing shoes and socks might seem like the logical solution, it gets to be quite tricky for me. I work from a desktop computer, but I also write (create) from a laptop while nestled in my recliner. Having anything on my feet while in that recliner is out of the question. I have bone spurs, plantar faciitis, a bad knee, and fibromyalgia. Crazy as it sounds, the weave lines in socks cause me a great deal of discomfort that quickly leads to pain and nerve issues. I can't have anything pressed against my Achilles' tendon for the same reason. It's frustrating to say the least. This year my family came to my rescue. I wanted to share the links for what they bought in the hope they might benefit someone else.

My husband bought me a heated throw for my recliner. It keeps my feet and legs nice and warm. Wearing anything binding is no longer an issue. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BF2OAU/

My son and daughter-in-law bought me the most comfortable shoes (made by Flexus). These are great for sitting at the desktop. Socks? No problem. These shoes keep my feet warm (but aren't water resistant) around the house, can be worn inside or out, and are nice enough to wear for errands. They have nice arch supports so the knee isn't compromised and they don't hit my Achilles' tendon. Here's the link (it says Fly Flot, but they're Flexus): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002EAZ1D0/

Caitlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment